How to cook perfect pearl barely
Nutritious and delicious grain cooked to perfection every time.
- 1.5 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the Pearl Barley: Start by rinsing the pearl barley under cold running water in a colander to remove any excess dirt or debris. This step also helps reduce the starch on the surface, preventing the grains from becoming too sticky during cooking.
- Soak (Optional): While not necessary, soaking pearl barley from 30 minutes to a few hours or overnight can help reduce the cooking time and improve its digestibility. If you choose to soak, drain the barley before proceeding to the next step.
- Boil: In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups of water or vegetable broth to a boil with the barley and salt. Adding broth enhances the flavor of the pearl barley, but water works well too.
- Reduce Heat and Simmer: Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and let it simmer for about 30- 40 mins or until tender to taste.
- Add Butter: Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and ensure even cooking. Add butter to prevent sticking and add richness and flavor.
- Done: The pearl barley should be tender but still have a chewy texture. If needed, continue simmering for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Drain Excess Liquid (Optional): If there is excess water in the pot, drain it using a fine mesh strainer. Alternatively, you can leave a small amount of liquid for added moisture.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once the pearl barley is cooked to perfection, fluff with a fork and serve.